And so it isJust like you said it would beLife goes easy on meMost of the timeIt was all hazy now, all except the teasing bet - made in the dying hours of daylight by two lovers in jest. All he remembered now was the look of her smiling down on him as he'd pulled her in for one more kiss, what was supposed to be one of thousands more to come. And all he knew was that nothing had seemed more important at that point than to win this bet, but in winnning it he'd lost himself
She remembered it clearly, how she'd looked him in the eye as she lay on top of him that evening and how she'd goaded him into accepting the bet. It was a dare. Just a simple dare made by many lover's before them "Let's see who can live without whom longer" she'd whispered in his ear.. His laughing acceptance as he'd grabbed her and they'd rolled over to lose themselves one last time. " I'll bet you give out first" he'd teased.
How right he was.
And in that little sentence, their destinies had been sealed. The stakes had been named, this time they were playing for so much more. Two strong wills locked in a clash for supremacy. desperately in love but blinded by pride. And so the days passed into a week. Her heart didn't stop aching. And the weeks passed into a month and the ring he'd bought remained in its tissue, glaring wonderingly up at him. And somehow the months began to fly by and her eyes gradually stopped spilling over and he stopped taking out the ring to clasp in his hands.
But the hearts never ceased to bleed.
And they still bleed as hope dwindles lower each day, for their love grows to become a fading. distant memory
And gradual acceptance of what was and what will never be finally cements iteself in their hearts, hardening, embittering.
The eyes are wiped one final time.
The ring returned to its nest of blue tissue.
Oh, pride. How i loathe you so.
Did I say that I loathe you?Did I say that I want toLeave it all behind?I can't take my mind off of you9:26 am;can you keep a secret?